Sunday, September 06, 2009

Time to build a NAS

So I have a heap o computer crap laying around the house, a good few hard drives, none of which are used for anything any more. Perhaps its time I take stock of everything I have, Install freeNAS onto the fastest box I have, give it as much ram as possible and go from there.

UPDATE: ITS ALL CRAPPY AND TO OLD TO DO WHAT I WANT!!!!!

Although whatever NAS solution I do use it needs to fill the following roles all in one:

  • WebServer
  • SSH Server
  • DNS Server
  • Kai Server (For playing XBOX, 360 and PSP online without Live accounts)
  • Some form of network monitoring
  • Security Camera Monitoring
  • Mumbles Support (OS X Growl notifications) - This one send notifications to my iPhone
  • Obviously FileSharing
  • Print Server
  • Fax2Email wouldn't hurt
  • CallerID Announcment to xbmc would also be nice
  • Asterisk Server - Although this might go into its own box
  • Torrent Server (Transmission will suffice here)

So thats the list - Time to find the possibilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment