I ended up calling it poison - as in it will no doubt poison my time while i constantly play with it. However considering its new home, i should have called in narnia... bugger it thats what i'll do.. pls hold.....
right after a quick hostname change and an update to dns/dhcp servers all is now good.
So onward and upwards.
So far I have installed the following
- HellaNZB <-- Usenet NZB downloader
- ZussaWeb <-- Web interface to HellaNZB
- Transmission <-- Torrent downloader
- WebMin <-- Figured I'd whack it on and play with it
- Asterisk <-- Who doesn't want a home PABX
- The drivers for my usbtv adapter <-- What a pain in the ass this was to install hence the guide to come
- Apache Web Server
- OpenSSH <-- My favorite kind of access
- NoMachine NX Server <-- Remote access kind of like vnc, however its ssh so again i like it.. NERD!!!
So how did I go about installing all this, most if not all were easy as a quick apt-get so for fullness here goes.
sudo apt-get updatesudo apt-get dist-upgradesudo apt-get install webmin transmission hellanzb asterisk openssh-server screen mysql-server apache2 mythtv-backend samba
I didn't really do the dist-upgrade, however if i ever come back to this in the future it probably wont hurt to do.
Go make a cup o coffee while that all installs and come back a little later.