Tuesday, October 20, 2009

The Lion, The Witch, and the.. .... god damn it!!!

Why god damn I hear you ask??? (Yeah i know, no bugger reads this so i dont hear crap) well I finally got around to installing my server into the wardrobe.
I ended up calling it poison - as in it will no doubt poison my time while i constantly play with it. However considering its new home, i should have called in narnia... bugger it thats what i'll do.. pls hold.....

right after a quick hostname change and an update to dns/dhcp servers all is now good.

So onward and upwards.

So far I have installed the following

  • HellaNZB <-- Usenet NZB downloader
  • ZussaWeb <-- Web interface to HellaNZB
  • Transmission <-- Torrent downloader
  • WebMin <-- Figured I'd whack it on and play with it
  • Asterisk <-- Who doesn't want a home PABX
  • The drivers for my usbtv adapter <-- What a pain in the ass this was to install hence the guide to come
  • Apache Web Server
  • PHP
  • MySQL
  • OpenSSH <-- My favorite kind of access
  • NoMachine NX Server <-- Remote access kind of like vnc, however its ssh so again i like it.. NERD!!!
So how did I go about installing all this, most if not all were easy as a quick apt-get so for fullness here goes.
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo apt-get install webmin transmission hellanzb asterisk openssh-server screen mysql-server apache2 mythtv-backend samba

I didn't really do the dist-upgrade, however if i ever come back to this in the future it probably wont hurt to do.

Go make a cup o coffee while that all installs and come back a little later.

No comments:

Post a Comment